Sunday, October 28, 2007

039

I read "5Top: Fall TV shows that should go away now" on MSNBC.com. Now I'll review these shows, too, none of which I have seen.

Cavemen: I lied; I did watch most of the premiere episode of this show. Aaand that was enough. It's a better idea than The Corny-Ass Singing Bee/Don't Forget the Goddamn Lyrics and worse than Roseanne.


That was a great show, Becky switching and all.

Big Shots: The title alone is presumptuous and arrogant. And annoying. I remember seeing previews and the flat characters talking about things that aren't real/interesting problems, and I thought, "Ya know what? Fuck you."


There needs to be no character-driven stories like this crap and more in the vein of Half Nelson, a gritty film that pulls at human complexities and multiple emotions.

Life: I think it's interesting, in a good way, that Victor Balta, the MSNBC critic, listed this NBC drama as one of the five shows that need pulled from the airwaves. Cops who spend 12 years in prison also don't look that young or attractive. Cops aren't treated well in prison, either. They added a $50 million settlement to it, too? This sounds like it just missed the mark of a story that should focus on redemption.

The Big Bang Theory: Who wants to watch nerds struggle with relating to women?


Again, if you're going to do a show about a struggle, you have to make the audience question things and really care about the characters. If I can watch Ryan Gosling do drugs in the school bathroom and also think he's a brilliant teacher and a good man, that's a fucking story (I'm referring to Half Nelson again). And I hate drugs.

Kid Nation: I have already trashed this in an earlier entry. Unlike the reviewer, I never suffered through an episode, and I was right.

Thanks to my cousin Jenn for introducing me to Half Nelson a few months ago. Watch it instead. And hopefully David from Roseanne (Johnny Galecki) finds better work.

No comments: