Sunday, August 17, 2008

053

La Brea, the Home Design District of L.A.

When Angelenos or visitors to L.A. think of La Brea Avenue, they typically conjure the Tar Pits ("la brea" means "tar"), vintage shops like Jet Rag, High Voltage Tattoo/L.A. Ink, or the ever-convenient Target at the West Hollywood Gateway.

But what characterizes La Brea, for me, are the design stores, ably competing with the Robertson area but not awash in starfuckers. Diamond Foam and Fabric is Los Angeles Magazine's top fabric-buying experience, and the street also houses ultra-modern Cantoni and the origins of organic furniture at Robert Craymer Green, to name a few.

I have a new favorite, in Algabar. I first visited for the most recent Charlie Bidwell artist's reception, and I went back today in hopes that the work was still hung (it is, and will rotate a little in the coming months).

Algabar, I soon learned, is more than a home furnishings store. When I entered, co-owner Gail Baral greeted me (as did Remy, her fluffy smoke-colored dog). She had just finished making iced tea, and asked if I would like some (yes, I did, thank you).

I remembered the immaculately blended cocktails from Charlie's reception (this coming from someone who prefers imported beer or vodka-rocks), and, well, she made those, too.

Fiona Apple played, a designer-friend visited (coincidentally, I pass his showroom every day at work), and I browsed and conversed like I never have at a Crate & Barrel.

I have never been more comfortable in a home furnishings store; I truly felt at home in the black-and-white-themed retreat.

The store features furniture found on buying trips as well as original designs; exotic teas; kettles, trays, mixing and serving instruments; vases, soaps, and scents; and any little piece to help turn your abode into your soothing place.

My most interesting finds included candles and incense from Marriage Frerès (I thought they just made tea!), as well as the Parfum Lucifer series of candles by Damien Bash.

When I winced a little at the Sin candle's $80.00+ price tag, Gail didn't make me feel like the poor 23-year-old I am. Instead, she reminded me that we were all where I am. As you may have heard, Los Angeles is pretty fucked-up. Peaceful living in this city is about finding your balance, stumbling upon pockets of the city that you instantly adore, and I found one today on an impromptu visit to 342 South La Brea.

While the products hail from Morocco, Japan, the Far East, France...all are displayed in a neat American sense of comfort. Gail's buying trips are based on instinct, and she has very, very good taste, whether or not you love greyscale as much as I do.

Algabar recently scored a deal with the new, luxe Montage Hotel on Canon Drive in Beverly Hills. Their teas from around the world will be prominently featured. Garal ensures that each has a personal touch: she names them herself, and that's all part of the fun of putting a little effort into your breaktime (hint: use a meat thermometer to make sure the tea is infused at the perfect temperature, which she gladly tells you).

I find it important to remind that I purchased nothing (my id was asleep or something...), but Gail gave me about two hours of her time to talk about the store, tea (I had never met an oenophile of the kind), designing for the self. It's definitely worth at least one visit, and, uniquely, they are open on Sundays.

I'm going back soon, to see more of Charlie's work in its intended size (I will have that someday, too), and I won't be able to leave alone.

Algabar
342 South La Brea Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90036
T: 323.954.9720 . F: 323.954.9721
http://www.algabar.com/ . http://www.algabarstore.com/

__________
Coming eventually:
01. I will review one of the restaurants nearby, probably Ca Brea.
02. a bunch of writing about Los Feliz.

No comments: