Sunday, September 16, 2007

028

I wanted to see something new to me in L.A., so I went to the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) downtown Friday. The museum at 250 South Grand Avenue is currently between exhibitions, so admission was free.

The super-industrial-minimalist chess set by Man Ray (seen
here in a disappointing picture) and Joe Goode's Untitled Window Painting really impressed me.

I understood more of what I saw than I thought I would, but there were some pieces that confused me, such as a row of individual squares of mirrored glass, one mirror slightly smaller than the one to its left. There was also a large square painting of red and white stripes, which meant nothing to me and made me feel nothing. Whatever I was missing, I didn't really mind. There were plenty of art students outside drawing the sharp twists of the Walt Disney Concert Hall, so maybe I should have asked them.

Either way, it was nice to explore a little bit of downtown and see more of the city, even if driving downtown is slightly confusing.

No comments: